Concrete Field Testing Technician
A Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to properly perform and record the results of seven basic field tests on freshly mixed concrete. The program requires a working knowledge of the following ASTM test methods and practices:
- C1064/C1064M - Temperature of Freshly Mixed Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C172 - Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete
- C143/C143M - Slump of Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C138/C138M - Density (Unit Weight), Yield, and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- C231 - Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- C173/C173M - Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Volumetric Method
- C31/C31M - Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination; AND
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The one-hour written examination is "closed book" and consists of fifty-five multiple choice questions. There are between five and ten questions on each of the ASTM test methods and practices. To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required test methods and practices; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is also "closed book" and requires actual demonstration of six of the required test methods and practices plus a verbal description of Practice C172 (sampling). The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform (or describe, where allowed) all of the required steps for each procedure. Recertification is necessary every five years, and requires successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
Training / Study Material
Indiana Chapter provides a non-mandatory Training Course, typically the day before the Certification Exams are scheduled. In addition we make available the following study guide as part of the exam registration. This study guide can be used for self study, and is also used in our Training Course.
CP-1(13): Technician Workbook for ACI Certification of Concrete Field Testing Technician - Grade I
A study guide for the examinee, providing information and instructional material on the required ASTM testing procedures. ASTM Standards covered include C172, C143, C138, C231, C173, C31, C1064, C29, C94. Also included are ACI's Concrete Primer (SP-1), study questions, sample checklists, and practice exams.
ACI certifications are based on codes, standards, and resources that periodically change. In order to ensure that certified personnel are current on the latest standards and technology, recertification is necessary. Recertification is required every five (5) years and includes successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
Register online for an upcoming session. Payment is required with the registration. In special cases we will take a check the day of the exam. However, no one will be allowed to take the class or exam without first making payment.